Parsing is basically the process of breaking down your log message, into smaller chunks of data, and placing them into its own specific named fields by following a set of rules (Grokking for example).
Basically, what determines how easy it is going to be to analyze, query and visualize your data within Logz.io is parsing.
What are some of the advantages of parsing my logs?
- You will be able to easily display and filter your data by Field with the click of a button
- Create visualizations to better understand your data and spot trends
- Setup Alerts and filter them to get more relevant notifications about your logs
As our VP Product once put it: "In the field of log analysis, the key factor determining how easy it is to analyze the log data is the parsing."
How can I parse my data using Logz.io?
We currently offer three ways of parsing your data:
- Automatic parsing for common log types. Basically, Logz.io already has pre-configured log patterns that are enriched and parsed for you automatically, and a full list can be found here.
- Using our Data Parsing Wizard. Want to parse your own data? Not a problem, for more detailed instructions, click here.
- Lastly, we can do it for you! As a Logz.io user, part of our service is to help you with custom data parsing. Our support team is happy to assist with all of your parsing needs, just follow the instructions found here.